Hydrogen Sulfide, commonly known as sulfur, gives water an obnoxious “rotten egg” odor that makes it unbearable to drink, cook with, or even use for bathing. Because it is a gaseous acid, sulfur can also promote corrosion.
Luckily, hydrogen sulfide can be removed through several different methods. One way is to convert it into a precipitate (a yellowish gray powder) that can be removed though filtration.
Sulfur can affect anything metal in the home. This can include plumbing and pipes but can also affect televisions, refrigerators, stereos, cell phones, computer, jewelry, and even household wiring.
Very high concentrations can be explosive and poisonous. Sulfur can also kill your sense of smell. Because it can affect anything metal in the home, it is considered one of the most costly water problems to ignore.
Sulfur can destroy household copper piping in weeks or even days. For this reason, we always recommend that any home plumbing (water and drain) be constructed of non-corrosive plastic materials such as PEX, PVC or CPVC plastic.
Sulfur removal is more complex than simple water softening. Factors such as iron content, water hardness, dissolved solids content, pH, and presents/absence of bacteria can all have an effect on the design of a sulfur removal system.
Filtration systems can be very effective methods to remove light to moderate amounts of sulfur.
Heavy amounts of sulfur are often treated with an injection system.
PEROXIDE or CHLORINE INJECTION SYSTEM
First, peroxide or chlorine is used to oxidize unwanted elements such as hydrogen sulfide, iron, and manganese. Peroxide is also used to eliminate other odors that can be present in water. These odors can be grassy, swampy, musty, woody, fishy, skunk, earthy, medicinal, etc.
This method is always followed by an automatic backwashing filter to remove the precipitated sultur and other particulate matter.